Pages

Thursday, July 6, 2017

Throwback Thursday: Pretty Little Liars by Sara Shepherd



Author: Sara Shepherd
First published in 2006 by Harper Teen

Three years ago, Alison disappeared after a slumber party, not to be seen since. Her friends at the elite Pennsylvania school mourned her, but they also breathed secret sighs of relief. Each of them guarded a secret that only Alison had known. Now they have other dirty little secrets, secrets that could sink them in their gossip-hungry world. When each of them begins receiving anonymous emails and text messages, panic sets in. Are they being betrayed by some one in their circle? Worse yet: Is Alison back? A strong launch for a suspenseful series.

Yes, I finally succumbed and read the first book in the Pretty little Liars series.  I have watched the first few seasons on Netflix and enjoyed them.  I have also read a couple of the more recent books from this author and liked them.  So, I figured why not?  I should have known better.

For some reason, the TV show does a much better job with this story line.  But, then it could be because this first book is pretty much the first season verbatim, so if you've seen it, you've read it.  I didn't feel like I had any more insight into the characters by reading the book.  Honestly, that is 6 hours of audiobook listening that I can't ever get back.  The book is already incredibly outdated.  It's so full of pop culture references and product names that today are already obscure and not used.  By the end, I was left wondering if the author got paid for all of the product placement in the book.  I know this is a hugely popular series, but I really can't recommend it. 

No comments: