Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Five Nights at Freddy's: The Silver Eyes by Scott Cawthon & Kira Breed-Wrisley

Authors: Scott Cawthon & Kira Breed-Wrisley
Publisher: Scholastic Inc.
Date of publication: September 2016

Ten years after the horrific murders at Freddy Fazbear's Pizza that ripped their town apart, Charlie, whose father owned the restaurant, and her childhood friends reunite on the anniversary of the tragedy and find themselves at the old pizza place which had been locked up and abandoned for years. After they discover a way inside, they realize that things are not as they used to be. The four adult-sized animatronic mascots that once entertained patrons have changed. They now have a dark secret . . . and a murderous agenda.

I will admit to having only played the first game once or twice.  I didn't really find it scary, but maybe the later games were.  This book was a top pick at my kids' middle school book fair this past fall, so I gave it a try.  I will preface this all by saying that the author has said that it is a alternate imagining of the events in the Five Nights at Freddy's video games.  Apparently some fans had issue with the book not following the games.  It was never really meant to.  I think if you are a fan of the games and you go into the book with that in mind, you will enjoy it a lot more.

I thought this was a fun book.  It reminded me of the Christopher Pike books I loved in middle school. I have always thought the animals at Chuckee Cheese were creepy.  Given that this is about creepy animatronics, the creepiness factor was right on par with what I expected.   I liked the characters and how the back story unfolded.  There were some pretty tense moments that I think YA readers will get a good scare out of.  For a YA horror, there was really nothing gory or objectionable, so I would say any middle grade lever reader would be fine with the content.   


No comments: