Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Throwback Thursday: The House on Tradd Street by Karen White


Author: Karen White
First published in 2008 by

A brilliant, chilling début featuring a Charleston real estate agent who loves the histories inside old manors. Melanie Middleton hates to admit she can see ghosts. A man she recently met died, leaving his historic Tradd Street home; complete with a dog and family of ghosts anxious to tell their secrets. Jack Trenholm, a gorgeous writer obsessed with unsolved mysteries, has reason to believe diamonds from the Confederate Treasury are hidden. He turns the charm on with Melanie, to discover he's the smitten one.


This book was a random audio pick from my library.  When I was looking through the site looking for a "throwback" book, I thought the synopsis sounded good.  Unfortunately, I only got about halfway through the book.  It's about a woman who inherits a house that is falling apart.  She has to live there for a year before she can sell.  Oh, and she can see ghosts.  

While parts of the book were interesting, I found it to be really slow.  Not much really happens in the first half of the book.  I found Melanie to be kind of annoying.  She has control issues, is really uptight and generally unlikable. There were a few things about the plot that had me shaking my head.  Who appoints a known alcoholic to be the executor of a trust that has a lot of money?  Also,  Melanie is 39 and didn't know when prohibition happened. I found this unlikely, especially for a woman who specializes in selling old houses in the Charleston area.  She didn't seem to know anything about the history of the houses or of the area she grew up in.  As for romance, it was almost non-existent and I didn't feel like sticking around to see if anything developed with Jack.  I say skip this one. But, if you manage to get through it, there are 3 other books featuring Melanie.  Maybe she gets better over time?

No comments: