Pages

Friday, June 17, 2016

Troublemaker by Linda Howard

Author: Linda Howard
Publisher: William Morrow
Date of publication: May 2016

For Morgan Yancy, an operative and team leader in a paramilitary group, nothing comes before his job. But when he’s ambushed and almost killed, his supervisor is determined to find out who’s after the members of his elite squad—and why. Due to worries that this unknown enemy will strike again, Morgan is sent to a remote location and told to lay low and stay vigilant. But between a tempting housemate he’s determined to protect and a deadly threat waiting in the shadows, keeping under the radar is proving to be his most dangerous mission yet.


The part-time police chief of a small West Virginian mountain town, Isabeau “Bo” Maran finally has her life figured out. She’s got friends, a dog, and a little money in the bank. Then Morgan Yancy shows up on her doorstep. Bo doesn’t need a mysterious man in her life—especially a troublemaker as enticing and secretive as Morgan.

After finishing Troublemaker, I felt like the old Linda Howard was back.   I've read and reviewed a lot of her earlier works and she has some really good romances built into suspense stories.  In this stand alone romantic suspense, Morgan is shot by an unknown assailant.  his boss sends him to a remote town to recuperate while the agency he works for tries to put the pieces together.   Isabeau "Bo" takes him in to her home as a favor for her ex-stepbrother.  

I really enjoyed the book.  I will admit that I thought the mystery was lackluster. It was a bit anti-climatic. For me, the romance overpowered the suspense part of the book. But, I was OK with that.  I loved Morgan and Bo, loved them together, loved them apart, and loved how they took the time to fall in love.  Let's not forget the adorable and eerily smart Tricks the dog.  She was a fun and integral character to the story.  The other secondary characters around the town rounded out the story nicely.  I'd love to have Loretta in my corner any day.  

I highly recommend this one.  I think fans will enjoy it as much as I did.  If you haven't picked up a book by Ms. Howard before, start with this one and give her a try.

No comments: