Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Buzz Kill by Beth Fantaskey

Author: Beth Fantaskey
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Date of publication: May 2014

Putting the dead in deadline
To Bee or not to Bee? When the widely disliked Honeywell Stingers football coach is found murdered, 17-year-old Millie is determined to investigate. She is chasing a lead for the school newspaper - and looking to clear her father, the assistant coach, and prime suspect.

Millie's partner is gorgeous, smart-and keeping secrets
Millie joins forces with her mysterious classmate Chase who seems to want to help her even while covering up secrets of his own.

She's starting to get a reputation…without any of the benefits.
Drama-and bodies-pile up around Millie and she chases clues, snuggles Baxter the so-ugly-he's-adorable bassett hound, and storms out of the world's most awkward school dance/memorial mash-up. At least she gets to eat a lot of pie.

I have read a lot of negative reviews for this book, so I was a little reluctant to read it.  I guess I am in the minority when it comes to this book.  I  thought Buzz Kill was a pleasant surprise.  The basic premise is that Millie is a smart slacker who aspires to be a journalist, maybe.  Her father is accused of murdering the head football coach at her high school.  She takes it upon herself to solve the mystery.

I really liked Millie's character.  There are many comparisons in the book to Nancy Drew.  While Millie definitely march's to her own beat, I could see some of Nancy's qualities in her. She is a character I would love to see in other books. The other characters in the book made the story very entertaining.  I was totally surprised at the reveal in the end.  

I would recommend this to any YA mystery lover.  I wouldn't mind if it became a series.




No comments: