Pages

Thursday, November 5, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Whose Body? by Dorothy L. Sayers



Author: Dorothy Sayers
First published in 1923 by T. Fisher Unwin

The stark naked body was lying in the tub. Not unusual for a proper bath, but highly irregular for murder -- especially witha pair of gold pince-nez deliberately perched before the sightless eyes. What's more, the face appeared to have been shaved after death. The police assumed that the victim was a prominent financier, but Lord Peter Wimsey, who dabbled in mystery detection as a hobby, knew better. In this, his first murder case, Lord Peter untangles the ghastly mystery of the corpse in the bath.


I was recently browsing my library's overdrive site looking for some Throwback Thursday books when I stumbled on Whose Body?  I had never heard of this series, so I thought I would give it a try.   I definitely enjoyed the story.  I did like the mystery and how Peter solved the case.  I also loved the confessional letter in the end where the killer laid it all out for him.  That was cool. 

Lord Peter Wimsey is an interesting character.  He is a little like a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot.  A brilliant mind with odd idiosyncrasies.  But what I thought was the most interesting is how he talked about his sleuthing.  He loves the beginning of the case but is almost bored by the end.  I found that a nice twist as most detectives you read about love the hunt all the way through.  I definitely think I will pick up another of Lord Peter's mysteries in the future.

No comments: