Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

by:  Nicola Yoon
published by:  Delacourte Books for Young Readers
publish date:  September 1, 2015

My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.


I picked up this audiobook because it was one of the Goodreads Choice Books Finalists for 2015.   When I looked it up, it had like 12,000 ratings.  I was surprised that I hadn't heard of it.  

Maddie is allergic to everything.  Her mother is a doctor and her mother has explained to her that she has to live in their specially made house so that she won't get sick.  She never ever leaves their house and the only people that ever see her are her mother and her nurse Carla.  Maddie has accepted this existence and seems happy.  Until Olly moves next door.  Olly and Maddie begin chatting online and take their friendship to the next level by convincing Carla to let Olly come to the house.  After they fall in love, then the real craziness happens.  

I found this book to be extremely predictable.  The big "twist" at the ending, I called from like the very beginning.  There were too many inconsistencies I guess.  The thing that annoyed me the most about this book was Maddie's books.  So you have this disease where you're allergic to stuff and you get books mailed to you?  Why not get ebooks?  or audiobooks?  That way you could have a ton more and they're totally hypoallergenic.  It was something that aggravated me from the get go.  Anyway...... Read at your own risk.  It wasn't my favorite.  I'm not seeing why so many people are loving it.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I was the opposite of you, i heard of it, i just never thought to pick it up. My curiosity got the better of me and i eventually did :P That's actually a super vaild point about the ebook/audiobook thing! It's not like she doesn't have a computer! Maybe she's just a physical book kinda girl.

I personally didn't see the twist coming, which in part made me really like the book! Sorry you weren't a big fan.

Autumn said...

I think maybe because I'm in nursing school I really analyze medical issues. Maybe that's why???