Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hold the Dark by William Giraldi

by:  William Giraldi
published by:  Liverlight Publishing Corporation
publish date:  September 8, 2014

At the start of another pitiless winter, the wolves have come for the children of Keelut. Three children have been taken from this isolated Alaskan village, including the six-year-old boy of Medora and Vernon Slone. Stumbled by grief and seeking consolation, Medora contacts nature writer and wolf expert Russell Core. Sixty years old, ailing in both body and spirit, and estranged from his daughter and wife, Core arrives in Keelut to investigate the killings. Immersing himself in this settlement at the end of the world, he discovers the horrifying darkness at the heart of Medora Slone and learns of an unholy truth harbored by this village.

So I picked up this audiobook from the library.  I have to say it's one of the most messed up books I've read in a long time.  There were so many parts that I had to stop and rewind because I was like "wait, did I seriously just hear what I heard??"

Core is wolf expert, but he's old and retired and estranged from his dying wife.  He gets called to the remote village of Keelut by Medora Slone because her son was taken by wolves and she want his help to retrieve whats left of his body.  She wants to be able to give her son a proper burial because her husband is a soldier away at war and wants to give him at least that when he gets home.  

Well, Medora is a crazy nut job.  She wanted Core there to discover that she had killed her son not the wolves.  She takes off before the police show up.  Then Medora's husband comes home early and take off after her.  He cuts a big blood trail across Alaska looking for her.  

I don't want to give away the ending, but Oh do I want to talk about it.  Seriously, if you've read this, email me or something because how crazy was the ending of this book??

No comments: