Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2015

The Bone Orchard by Paul Doiron

by:  Paul Doiron
published by: Minotaur Books
publish date:  July 15, 2014

In the aftermath of a family tragedy, Mike Bowditch has left the Maine Warden Service and is working as a fishing guide in the North Woods. But when his mentor Sgt. Kathy Frost is forced to kill a troubled war veteran in an apparent case of "suicide by cop," he begins having second thoughts about his decision. 

Now Kathy finds herself the target of a government inquiry and outrage from the dead soldier's platoon mates. Soon she finds herself in the sights of a sniper, as well. When the sergeant is shot outside her farmhouse, Mike joins the hunt to find the mysterious man responsible. To do so, the ex-warden must plunge into his friend's secret past—even as a beautiful woman from Mike's own past returns, throwing into jeopardy his tentative romance with wildlife biologist Stacey Stevens

I tried listening to this audiobook once and I put it away.  I don't know what was going on with me that day.  This is the fifth book in the Mike Bowditch series and I had been really enjoying it so far.  But for some reason when I started this one I just wasn't into it.  However, I gave it another try and I'm really glad I did because I ended up really liking this story.

In this book Mike has left the warden service and he's working as a fishing guide.  Kathy, is having a hard time because of a suicide by cop.  When he goes to visit her, Kathy is shot and Mike is there when it happens.  He gets involved in the investigation as to who exactly shot her and why.  When everyone is assuming, it's friends of the man she shot, Mike has other ideas.  He doesn't give up until he gets his man.  

I was glad that this book kind of went back to the roots of the series.  I think it needed it.  The last book I felt like was starting to wander too far out there.  Again, I recommend this series.  It's really very good.  The audiobooks are well done, I like the reader even with his over the top Maine accents.  Definitely check them out!

No comments: