Pages

Saturday, February 21, 2015

Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers

Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher: HMH Books for Young readers
Date of publication: November 2014

Annith has watched her gifted sisters at the convent come and go, carrying out their dark dealings in the name of St. Mortain, patiently awaiting her own turn to serve Death. But her worst fears are realized when she discovers she is being groomed by the abbess as a Seeress, to be forever sequestered in the rock and stone womb of the convent. Feeling sorely betrayed, Annith decides to strike out on her own.

She has spent her whole life training to be an assassin. Just because the convent has changed its mind doesn't mean she has...


Mortal Heart is the final story in the "His Fair Assassins" trilogy.  This is Annith's story.  She feels stifled in the convent and longs for her chance to serve St. Mortain.  The Reverend Mother has other plans and wants to keep her as the new Seeress.  Annith decides to take matters in her own hands and sets out on her own to find her own way.  She also hopes she can help save her beloved homeland.

I know for a lot of people, this was their favorite out of the three books.  I'm sorry to say that is wasn't for me.  I think it was my least favorite.  Not that I didn't enjoy it, it just wasn't all I was hoping it would be.  First it was really long.  Not a lot happened in the first half of the book.  I felt like it really dragged.  The last half of the book was the better of the two and moved a lot faster.   I also was a bit underwhelmed by the relationship between Balthazaar  and Annith.  I just didn't feel it as much as I did with the other two couples. 

There are a couple of twists.  One I guessed very early on.  The other one was a bit of a surprise.    I did like the ending and how it was wrapped up nicely.  Even the Reverend Mother got what she deserved!  Overall, I do recommend this series.  I would keep it to over 16 as there are some more mature situations in the book.  





No comments: