Pages

Thursday, January 15, 2015

Throwback Thrusday: Prime Time by Sandra Brown


Author: Sandra Brown (writing as Rachel Ryan)
First published in 1983 by Dell Publishing company

More than anything else, cable TV reporter Andrea Malone wanted a network job. And it could be hers if she gained a coveted interview with the aging General Ratiff -- especially if she uncovered the secret that drove him into seclusion at his Texas ranch. One obstacle was Lyon Ratiff, the general's watchdog of a son. Andrea had a plan, but had no way of knowing how Lyon's unexpected, undeniable effect on her would change everything, how they both would face a storm of suspicion and betrayal -- and how Andrea Malone would have to choose between the ruthless demands of her profession and the equally strong dictates of the heart.

As I was listening to Prime Time, I had to keep chanting to myself that it was written in a different time where the ideas of what was romantic and acceptable in relationships was a lot different than it is now.  The author even makes a note of that in the reprint of the book.  She had originally published it under a different name. I am so glad that times have changed in the world of romance.  

Even keeping that in mind, I'm not sure it was enough to save the book for me. I had such a hard time believing that Andrea (Andi) could fall for a man like Lyon.  He was such an ass from the start and never really redeemed himself enough in my eyes. The way this woman was treated by everyone was disgusting.  From her overbearing and sexist boss/friend, to her crew making sexual jokes to her. I applauded her for walking away in the end.  But then I had to hang my head when she just took Lyon back like nothing had happened.  I'm sorry but this isn't one that I can recommend for a throwback read.  There are much better early romances by this author!


No comments: