Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

Author: Robin LaFevers
Publisher:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Date of publication: April 2013

When Sybella arrived at the doorstep of St Mortain half mad with grief and despair the convent were only too happy to offer her refuge - but at a price. The sisters of this convent serve Death, and with Sybella naturally skilled in both the arts of death and seduction, she could become one of their most dangerous weapons.

But her assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her to the life that nearly drove her mad. Her father's rage and brutality are terrifying, and her brother's love is equally monstrous. But when Sybella discovers an unexpected ally she discovers that a daughter of Death may find something other than vengeance to live for...

Dark Triumph is the second in the His Fair Assassin Series.  I was really surprised by this series and really enjoyed the first book, Grave Mercy.  Dark Triumph is Sybella's story.  The books pretty much picks up where the first one left off.  Sybella is back in her father's home on the convent's orders.  She is waiting and hoping for a sign that she can kill her father.  Instead of her sign, she receives a message that she must help a prisoner in the castle's dungeon escape and get back to the duchess of Brittany to help her fight for her land.


This book was definitely much faster paced than the first book.  There is a lot of action and more nail biting fight scenes.  I liked the pacing in this one much more.  It seemed less bogged down in history and facts.  A definitely bonus.  I also liked the slow build to love between Sybella and Beast.  I thought they were well matched and gave each other exactly what the other needed.  I liked both characters.  Sybella is a very strong woman with a lot of baggage.  Beast is a very brave warrior yet he has a big heart.  

I know this is considered YA, but I would caution against the under 16 crowd reading it.  It definitely deals with more adult situations including implied incest.  I think that is a bit much for a younger reader to handle.  

I have Mortal Heart loaded up on my MP3 player ready to go.  I am looking forward to the conclusion to this trilogy!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read the first in this series and enjoyed it -- sounds like I need to get the second one now. Thanks for the review.