Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

A Single Kiss by Grace Burrowes

Author: Grace Burrows
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Date of publication: January 2015

In the first novel of the Sweetest Kisses series, Hannah Stark has set her sights on corporate law to assure her a career of paperwork, predictability, and conservative suits. Contracts, finance, and the art of the deal sing to her, while the mess and misery of the courtroom do not. But her daughter needs to eat, so when Hannah is offered a temporary position in a small town firm's domestic relations department, she reluctantly accepts.

Trent Knightley is mightily drawn to his newest associate, though Hannah is as protective of her privacy as she is competent. When their friendship and attraction heat up, Hannah's secrets put her heart and Trent's hopes in double jeopardy.


A Single Kiss is the first in a new series by this author and the first I have read by her.  I thought it was a heart warming story about a woman finally finding a place where she belongs.  Hannah Stark grew up in the system and knows first hand how harsh it can be for a child.  As a lawyer, she vows never to practice family law.  That is until she gets her first job and has to work in that department.  There she also finds she has an instant attraction to her temporary boss, Trent.  

First, I loved Trent.  I thought he was one of the best heroes I have read in a long time.  He was sweet, understanding and a great dad.  Who would want anything more?  I also found Hannah to be an interesting character.  My first instinct was that someone who grew up in the system would want to work in family law to be an advocate for other kids in her situation.  I found it an interesting twist that she was so adverse to the idea.  But, I admired her drive and determination to become the best she could be whether it be a lawyer or a mother to her daughter.  I loved the relationship that developed between Hannah and Trent. Their banter was fun to read.  I was rooting for them the entire time!

The other characters rounded out the story nicely.  The relationship between Trent and his brothers is a close one and made for a lot of laugh out loud moments.  I can't wait to see how these guys find their loves in up coming books.  There is a mystery or two in this book.  I loved the little surprise at the end and was so happy for Hannah. The next book, The First Kiss, is James's story.  I can't wait for that one!

No comments: