Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Throwback Thursday: The Switch by Lynsay Sands

 
Author: Lynsay Sands
First published in 1999 by Leisure Books

When they first met Lord Jeremy William Radcliffe, Charlie and her twin sister, Elizabeth, were escaping from their uncle- taking turns acting the young gentleman to avoid detection. But Charlie couldn't help falling head over heels - and out of a window - for the handsome lord. Of course, that was only the beginning; Lord Radcliffe insisted on showing "him" and her lovely sister to London.

But how could he do that? With every touch, Radcliffe seemed unknowingly to incite indecent desires in Charlie, and his fraternal intent was certain to land her in a fine mess. Though it was a great game to play a boy, there was more fun in being female. And after one brush of his fiery lips when her guise was gone, Charlie swore to be nothing but his woman forevermore.


One of the things I love about Ms. Sands historical books is the humor that never lets up.  The Switch is a very amusing and at times confusing book. Confusing only when Charlie and her sister where playing each other.  Charlie and Beth are identical twins who are attempting to escape being sold into marriage by their uncle.  They decide to flee with one of them dressed as a boy.  They meet Radcliffe as they are fleeing and h takes them under his wing.

Radcliffe spends much of the book thinking Charlie is really a boy.  It was amusing to see his conflicting feelings toward Charlie as a boy and Charlie playing Beth.  It sounds more confusing than it is.  I did love how Radcliffe's plans for Charlie (as a boy) kept backfiring on him.  I think the brothel scenes were pretty funny.  I did think that I had the blackmailer all figured out, but I was pleasantly surprised to see I was wrong in the end.  It was a nice twist. The other characters in the book were a lot of fun.  This is definitely a book I would recommend!


1 comment:

Sharlene said...

I just got picked up this book. It sounds different from anything I have read. I liked The Deed, also by Lyndsay Sands. Thanks for the review!