Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2013

Throwback Thursday; The Dunwich Horror & The Thing on the Doorstep by H. P. Lovecraft

Author: H. P. Lovecraft
Audio CD Published by Fantom Films (first published October 2nd 2009) 
The Dunwitch Horror first published in the 1929 "Weird Tales"
The Thing on the Doorstep first published in the 1933 "Weird Tales"

In The Dunwich Horror (1928), Wilbur Whateley, the son of a deformed albino mother and an unknown father, matures at an abnormal rate, reaching manhood within a decade. All the while, his sorcerer grandfather indoctrinates him into certain dark rituals and the study of witchcraft...The Thing at The Doorstep was written five years later; confessing to the killing of his friend Edward Derby, Daniel Upton hopes his account will prove he is not a murderer.

I saw this audiobook  on my library's website and thought it would make for a great October Throwback Thursday.  To be honest, I have never read anything by Lovecraft, so I thought a couple of short stories would be a good introduction to his writing.

The first story read was The Dunwich Horror.  This one was just OK for me.  It wasn't anything very scary or remotely creepy.  Maybe in 1928, it could give readers shivers, but not in 2013.  I think it was a little too abstract for me.  I'm still not sure I really got what happened in the story.  Maybe if it had been longer, I would have liked it more.

The Thing on the Doorstep was much better.  I thought it was pretty creepy and scary.  This one would have made a good movie if the story was expanded a bit.  It's got black magic and possession. I liked the ending that was left open ended.  It definitely added to the creep factor.   If you are going to pick one to read on Halloween night, pick this one.  It's perfect to make the night a little bit spookier.


No comments: