Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Review: The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarity

Author: Liane Moriarity
Publisher: Amy Einhorn Books/Putnam
Date of publication: July 2013

Imagine that your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret—something with the potential to destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others as well. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive. . . .

I was hoping that The Husband's Secret would break my streak of disappointing books that I have read in the last week.  Unfortunately, it didn't work.  The book was just on OK read for me.  It starts out with three different women  who seem to not have anything to do with each other.  As the story unfolds,you can quickly see how the three women's lives connect. 

I had a couple of problems with the book.  It's long and kind of boring.  There was too much foreshadowing in the beginning so that the secret that John-Paul wrote in the letter to Cecilia wasn't a big surprise.  I had it figured out way before she decided to read it.  This made me find myself not really caring what he did.  The other thing was the amount of time spent in each of the characters heads.  There was too much introspection.  They spent so much time thinking and arguing with themselves that I wanted to skip ahead in parts and get on with it.  

Out of the three story lines, the only one I truly enjoyed was Tess and Will's story.  I was happy to see that there was hope for them in the end.  I thought their relationship was heartbreaking and realistic.  I found myself rooting for them in the end.   The rest of the characters were not very likable and I didn't find myself identifying with them at all.  The book has gotten rave reviews, so I guess it just wasn't the story for me.


No comments: