Pages

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Review: Calculated in Death by J. D. Robb

Author: J. D. Robb
Publisher: Putnam Adult
Date of Publication: February 2013

On Manhattan's Upper East Side a woman lies dead at the bottom of the stairs, stripped of all her valuables. Most cops might call it a mugging gone wrong, but Lieutenant Eve Dallas knows better.

A well-off accountant and a beloved wife and mother, Marta Dickenson doesn't seem the type to be on anyone's hit list. But when Eve and her partner, Peabody, find blood inside the building, the lieutenant knows Marta's murder was the work of a killer who's trained, but not professional or smart enough to remove all the evidence.

But when someone steals the files out of Marta's office, Eve must immerse herself in her billionaire husband Roarke's world of big business to figure out who's cruel and callous enough to hire a hit on an innocent woman. And as the killer's violent streak begins to escalate, Eve knows she has to draw him out, even if it means using herself as bait. .

  
If you are a follower of this blog, you know that I am a sucker for this series.  It's an automatic hold for me at my library.  I just love Eve Dallas and Roarke. Their relationship always makes me sigh. It's like comfort food.  I know I can just sit back and enjoy the ride.  Calculated in Death was a good solid mystery.  I liked how the plot played out with the unknown assassin.  I didn't understand all of the financial details involved in the mystery, but I really didn't mind.   

There are the usual cast of characters.  The relationship between Peabody and Eve gets funnier all the time.  I love how they play off each other. The scene where Eve talks Peabody into going undercover had me laughing out loud.   It was also fun to see Eve have to endure another session with Trina. My favorite scene in the book is how Eve handles the whiny sick child.  I could use someone like her once in a while.  That scene was priceless!

Susan Erickson once again narrated the audiobook.  I think I will cry if they ever change narrators for this series.  She will forever be the voice of Eve Dallas for me.

No comments: