Pages

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Magick by Moonrise by Laura Navarre

Author: Laura Navarre
Publisher: Carina Press
Date of Publication:

Tudor England, 1556

A religious war is brewing. The Catholic Church relies on the ruthless reputation of Lord Beltran Nemesto, who tirelessly hunts down those who don't believe or who practice dark arts.

Half mortal, half Fae princess, Rhiannon le Fay is a healer trying to broker peace between the Faerie and mortal worlds. The Convergence is approaching, an occurrence every thousand years where the Veil that separates the two realms temporarily dissolves. Without her help, war between the two is inevitable.



Let me start by saying that Magick by Moonrise is a well written and well thought out book.  There is a lot of world building in this first book.  I liked both Rhiannon and Beltran and I found myself rooting for them to find a way to be together.

Having said all that, I found that the book just didn't work for me overall.  It may have been that there was too much of a mix of genres in the book.  There is fantasy, historical, and angels.  Because of this, the book was too densely packed for me to enjoy.  It dragged in places and I found myself skimming.

I do think that this book will work for anyone who loves both historical and fantasy together. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean others won't enjoy it.  It has gotten good reviews and I think it should be given a chance.  So, check it out.



No comments: