Pages

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Throwback Thursday:Rafferty's Wife by Kay Hooper

Author: Kay Hooper
First published in 1987  by Loveswept

Sarah Cavell is a beautiful, brilliant cryptographer with the uncanny ability to crack any code. But her most daunting challenge may be reading the true feelings of her new “husband,” Rafferty Lewis, the secretive federal agent to whom she’s just been assigned. Sent on a perilous mission to a Caribbean nation teetering on the brink of revolution, the two must go undercover as husband and wife to make contact with a shadowy informant passing on cryptic messages that could trap a terrorist.


Rafferty's Wife is the third book in the Hagen series that was published by Loveswept in the late 80s.  This one was just OK for me.  I'm not sure I bought the love connection between Sarah and Rafferty.  It was just too quick.  For me, it felt like lust at first sight, not love. While they had a nice HEA, I was still pretty much underwhelmed by it.  There really wasn't any action and no suspense at all.  I figure if there are spies or undercover agents involved, there should be some suspense.

I'm not sure how much further I am going to go with this series. Hagen runs a secret government agency.  He recruits men and women to work as agents for him.  Yet, he never tells them all of the facts that they should know before going into a situation.  Wouldn't you want your operatives to succeed?  How can they do that without all of the facts needed?  I am hoping that in his motivations will be explored more maybe in the next book.  It looks like Zach is the next of Hagen's target.  Stay tuned!





No comments: