Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Throwback Thursday: Aftershocks by Catherine Coulter

Author: Catherine Coulter
First published in 1985 by Silhouette

When Dr. Elliot Mallory meets magazine model Georgina Hathaway, everything seems perfect. They love the same jokes, enjoy the same sports and have incredible chemistry together. But their worlds are so far apart--Elliot is ready for a home and family just as Georgina's career is starting to take off. Can they make it work, or will Elliot lose the best thing that has ever happened him?

After reading a number of early historical books by Ms. Coulter, I figured I'd give one of her early contemporary romances a try.  I can't say that I really enjoyed Aftershocks that much.  It started out great.  Elliot meets and flirts with "George" at a volleyball game.  There is a definite attraction between the two of them.  There is a bit of a mystery around George and who she really is.  Then we find out that she is a model, 23 and very inexperienced.  She has chosen Elliot to show her "the ways of loving".  At this point I was rolling my eyes. 

Neither character was very likable.  I thought Elliot was just too old fashioned in his ways of thinking. He acts way to old for his age.   George just came across as a spoiled brat who got everything she wanted.  Her behavior and downward spiral in the end was just ridiculous.  Ms. Coulter is a wonderful writer and has much better writings out there.  I think you can safely skip this throwback.  You won't be missing much.

No comments: