Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Throwback Thursday: The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Author: Michael Connelly
First Published in 2005 by Little Brown
Audiobook by Hachette Audio (2007)


Criminal defense attorney Mickey Haller's father was a legendary lawyer whose clients included gangster Mickey Cohen. But Dad also passed on an important piece of advice that's especially relevant when Mickey takes the case of a wealthy Los Angeles realtor accused of attempted murder: "The scariest client a lawyer will ever have is an innocent client. Because if you [screw] up and he goes to prison, it'll scar you for life." 

I have been putting of reading this book for a long time.  I have yet to see the movie.  I had heard great things about the book and the series, but I was wary.  I often feel let done after reading a book that is built up with rave reviews.  I'm sorry that I waited so long to read it.  I really enjoyed, The Lincoln Lawyer.  I loved Mickey's character.  I was expecting a slimy lawyer type, but I got so much more.  Mickey Haller is actually an honorable guy.  Even though he defends low-life scum, he does so with the best of intentions.  He believes everyone deserves a fair trial.  He is smart and a really likable guy.  Even both of his ex-wives still love him.  


I liked the mystery and how Mickey was able to use the system to get the bad guy.  Now that I have read the book, I'll rent the movie.  As my husband told me, I will probably hate it.  I rarely like movie versions of books. Let us know if you liked both or neither. I'll be seeking out the rest of the series. I look forward to more of Mickey's adventures.  The audio book was very well done.  If you have been putting this one off, go get it now!


No comments: