Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Fated by Alyson Noel

Author: Alyson Noel
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Date of publication: May 2012

Lately strange things have been happening to Daire Santos. Animals follow her, crows mock her, and glowing people appear out of nowhere. Worried that Daire is having a nervous breakdown, her mother packs her off to stay in the dusty plains of Enchantment, New Mexico with a grandmother she’s never met.


For a YA novel, this was just an OK read for me.  Fated is about Daire who is apparently a Soul Seeker.  The problem?  After reading the book, I'm still not sure what a Soul Seeker is supposed to do.  I get that she can walk through dimensions and that she can move things with her mind.  Oh, and she can merge with animals for a time, including cockroaches. Other than that, I'm not really clear on her purpose.  Throughout most of the book, Daire says she is confused.  Yeah, I could sympathize with that.  I think I'm getting tired of reading books where the main character gets seemingly important  information doled out to him or her in little spurts, "for their own good".  It's very frustrating for the reader; at least to this reader any way. 

I thought I would be getting a romance in this book, but there really wasn't one that I could see.  She has romantic dreams about a boy, but when she meets Dace in real life, it takes a while for them to get together.  Apparently, he isn't having the same dreams. Even after her own grandmother tells her she can trust him, Daire takes her sweet time. I did like a few of the peripheral characters.   Xotichl seems like she will be a good ally for Daire to have in future books.  I also liked Dace.  He is a likeable hero. I just hope their love story doesn't become angsty in the next book.  For once it would  be nice to have a "normal" teen relationship.  (Is there such a thing?)

This book really felt like it was a set up for the rest of the series.  Not much really happens and the ending was a let down.  I haven't read any of the author's other books.  I'll probably pick up the next one just to see what becomes of Daire in her fight against Cade, the evil twin.  Have you read it?  What did you think?

No comments: