Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

2 in 1: The Pajama Diaries & Seriously, Just Go to Sleep

I have 2 family friendly books for you today.  One is perfect for the moms out there and the other is perfect for the kiddos.
The Pajama Diaries 
Author: Terri Libenson
Publisher: TJ Studios Ltd
Date of Publication: June 2011

The nationally syndicated comic strip, Pajama Diaries, details the personal life of Jill Kaplan, a contemporary working mom trying to juggle it all-work life, family life, and sex life (or lack thereof)-without going completely bonkers. The characters age in real time so readers can enjoy and relate to each new challenge that awaits Jill and her family. The Pajama Diaries: Déjà To-Do! is the author's first book collection to mark the strip's fifth year of syndication. It contains all-time favorite full-color daily and Sunday strips. Multitasking families everywhere will certainly see themselves in this funny, contemporary cartoon.


I had a hard time reading The Pajama Diaries without bursting out with major giggles.  For anyone who is a mom, working or stay at home, you will appreciate this book!  While I enjoyed the entire book, I would have to say two of my favorites are "Contents of a Child's Lunch box: Morning vs Afternoon" and  the one with the checklist for figuring out if a child is sick enough to stay home from school.  I have that same checklist that I use often!

I can't imagine that any mom would be able to read these strips without finding something they can relate to as well. Several of the strips resemble my life so much it is scary.  There are even some strips that the dads out there will be able to nod their heads at while they are reading. I haven't seen the author's comic strip in the paper, but I will be looking for it in the future. This would make a great birthday gift or even a just thinking of you gift for that special hardworking mom.  If you are in need of a good laugh pick this one up!

Seriously, Just Go to Sleep
Author: Adam Mansbach & Ricardo Cortes
Publisher: Akashic Books
Date of Publication: April 2012

Critical success for the original Go the F*** to Sleep, a #1 best seller at: New York Times, Amazon.com, Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and many more!Seriously, Just Go to Sleep is the G-rated, traditional-sized, children's version of the book every parent has been talking about. Go the F*** to Sleep, the picture book for adults, became a cultural sensation by striking a universal chord for parents. Now, Adam Mansbach and Ricardo Cortes do a companion volume that lets kids in on the fun."

Last summer, I reviewed the adult version of the book, Go the Fuck to Sleep. While I thoroughly enjoyed that one, I was curious to see what the kid version would look like.   I can safely say that Seriously, Just Go to Sleep is very kid friendly and one I think all kids will enjoy.  The illustrations are done really well and really help enhance the story.  I read this to my son, who has a lot of trouble staying in bed at times and he got a kick out of the book.  If you are looking for a good bedtime story, pick this one up and read it to the kids.  I think you will both enjoy it.





No comments: