Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

Lover Reborn by J. R. Ward

Author: J. R. Ward
Publisher: NAL
Date of Publication: March 2012
 
Ever since the death of his shellan, Tohrment is a heartbroken shadow of the vampire leader he once was. Brought back to the Brotherhood by a self-serving fallen angel, he fights again with ruthless vengeance- and is unprepared for a new tragedy. Seeing his beloved in dreams—trapped in a cold, desolate netherworld—he turns to the angel to save his former mate, only to despair at the path he himself must take to set her free. As war with the lessers rages, and a new clan of vampires vies for the Blind King’s throne, Tohr struggles between an unforgettable past, and a future that he doesn’t know he can live with… but can’t seem to turn away from.

I was going to wait a few months to read Lover Reborn so that there would be less time between this one and the next one that comes out next year.  Then, it became available on CD at my library and I took that as a sign to read it now.  The upside is that I loved it. Lover Reborn is emotional, filled with action and loads of the humor I have come to love from the Brothers. The downside is that I have to wait an ENTIRE YEAR for the next book.  Which Ms. Ward has announce will be Blaylock and Quinn's story.  Can you say, "about time?" ?  But, I digress.


Unlike the other books, which happen over a much shorter time period, Lover Reborn takes place over an entire year.  To be honest, I think it was necessary for this book to work.  Tohr needed time to grieve and come to terms with the loss of Wellsie, as well as, learn to open his heart to another love.  This is probably the most emotional book for me. The pain he feels, especially toward the end of the book is just heartbreaking.  I loved him and No'One together.  It was nice to see Tohr find a new love and finally some happiness.   But, I will say the road to that happiness is not easy at all.


This book has so much going on in it that I don't want to give too much away.  The brothers are more present as a whole.  More so than in past books. A few relationships become stronger over the year. Xhex and No'One get to know each other more and there is some major healing in their mother/daughter relationship. John and Tohr begin to renew their father/son relationship.

Not everyone who is mated (I won't say who) is having the best of times as a couple and, given who this couple is, it felt like it was the right thing for the author to put them through. It will make for a much stronger relationship in the end.  The Band of Bastards play a huge role in the story and the reader gets to know them a bit better.  Not everyone in the group is what they initially seemed to be.  I could see the potential for future story lines.  


As I have said before, if you haven't had the chance to read the Black Dagger Brotherhood series, you are missing a great set of books!  But, don't start with this one.  Start at the beginning with Dark Lover.  Being book 10, Ms. Ward assumes you know a lot of back history and I think a newcomer would be a bit lost.  I will be anxiously waiting until next March when Blay and Quinn's story hits the shelves.  I can't wait!


No comments: