Pages

Saturday, April 14, 2012

The Look of Love by Mary Jane Clark

Author: Mary Jane Clark
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishing
Date of Publication: January 2012
 
New York Times bestseller Mary Jane Clark introduced readers to professional wedding cake decorator and amateur sleuth Piper Donavan in her acclaimed mystery novel To Have and To Kill. 

Piper's back in The Look of Love, on cake creating assignment at a West Coast luxury spa for the wealthy and famous--where nip and tuck and murder are offered in equal measures. Clark really hits her stride with The Look of Love, providing a winning recipe for delectable mystery that combines chills, twists, humor and often very romantic suspense in the bestselling vein of Mary Higgins Clark, Carol Higgins Clark, Faye Kellerman, Elizabeth Lowell, and Jayne Ann Krentz. She even includes scrumptious pastry recipes and fabulous cake design tips.

I should have known when the first book, To Have and To Kill, in this series was just an OK read (my review) for me.  I was hoping for better with The Look of Love, but sadly it was also just OK for me.   As with the first book, there were just too many suspects thrown into the pot.  Even with the amount of people thrown in, the real culprit came as a surprise for me.  I didn't see it coming at all.  I didn't feel like there were enough clues to really point to the killer. Also, Piper, again kind of stumbles into the killer. So there is no real amateur sleuthing going on.

The relationship conflict between Piper and Jack was a huge let down.  To be honest, it wasn't very necessary since, in the end, there is no resolution.  It was almost like it was thrown in to make the book a little longer.  I'm not sure I like Piper's character all that much.  I liked her family much more than her.  There are some pretty funny scenes involving her father that had me giggling. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to save the book for me.  Will I continue with the series?  I'm not sure yet.  Maybe the third time will be the charm?


4 comments:

Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Uh oh it sounds like you need to cut your losses. But then again, even when I'm not feeling a series, I'm often curious about how it ends.

Kari Boardman said...

I'm like that too. I always hold out hope things will get better.

JBarr5 said...

ive yet to read any but sounds like a good set of series, theme is what id be most interested in. food is an extra LOL

Julie

Italia said...

This is truly a passionate-emotional-erotic romance novel between Chloe & Chase that will have you crawling for more...simply exquisite! Chloe is fiercely running away from something terrible. She has her mind on other things while driving; she crashes into a ditch.