Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Guest Blog: M.V.C. Egan

Please welcome author, M.V.C Eagan who is promoting her book, The Bridge of Deaths.  Welcome!


Publisher - AuthorHouse
Release Date - June 9, 2011


Follow Bill and Maggie in London 2010 as they explore the events of August 15th 1939. When at the brink of World War II, an English plane crashed and sunk in Danish waters. Five deaths were reported: two Standard Oil of New Jersey employees, a German Corporate Lawyer, an English member of Parliament, and a crew member for the airline. Bill and Maggie find a conceivable version of the events. 


Ms. Egan writes:


From the introduction The Bridge of Deaths warns the reader that one of the stumbling blocks was my absolute lack of knowledge about history in 1939 and I do not by any stretch of the means consider myself an expert today.  I can absolutely state that I failed history more than once at school. I did however have an affinity for hands-on history through museums and old buildings; I believe that was my gateway to feeling comfortable with researching.

I have been so pleasantly surprised by the feedback of so many readers that feel like they became interested in the history of the era. So far no-one has corrected any of my findings, which I also state could happen in the intro.


The first place available to me was at the Wimberly Library at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, Florida. There I found numerous books, but the most useful tool was the newspaper microfilm and especially that of The London Times.

I spent hours over the years reading and printing articles from the Newspaper and I have to say it never felt tedious. It became a fun hobby, and it immersed me in the era I was researching, because as I looked at the articles that I document in the book I also saw the fun ads for anything from cigarettes to real-estate.

Visiting archives was also an adventure I would not trade. Today many of the files I used are available on-line, but when I began in the early-mid 90s this was not the case. Again the feel of touching history and with original documents was so ‘real’ that it was far from boring.

I am sure that my insecurity and lack of knowledge allowed me the freedom not to take historical facts for granted and as I searched I found that Voltaire was indeed correct when he said, “History is the agreed upon lie”.

My advice to anyone interested in researching any given historical event and wanting find a new perspective is simply to research as though you haven’t a clue.  I believe my ignorance was crucial in finding all I found. This is not only in reference to my ignorance of facts, but also my ignorance in the reputation of the various historians. I trusted and believed no-one and went to original sources, which led me right to The House of Parliament reading room in London. 

There in the Parliamentary Archives I got to find sources that are often quoted in history books, but not in bits and pieces but in full non-edited form. There I must say I got to read a lot of slow boring stuff, a little like watching C-Span, but once I found what interested me, it felt well worth the read. Today this is available on-line.

One of my favorite tools available to everyone is ancestry.com I did pay for a full membership and perhaps that gave me access to more than a free access pass that I think anyone can get for one month. I was able to access archives in the US, UK, Germany, Denmark and several other countries.  In one of the ship manifests  I found that one of the men I was researching had the cabin next to George Prescott Bush and his wife, the father of our 41st and grandfather of our 43rd 
presidents, a little like touching history. Don’t you think? 



About the Author:


M.C.V. Egan lives in South Florida with her husband and teenage son. She is fluent in four languages; English,Spanish,French and Swedish. From a young age became determined to solve the 'mystery' of her grandfather's death, she has researched this story for almost two decades. The story has taken her to Denmark, England and unconventional world of past lives and psychics. The author would like to thank Critical Past for the use of the British Airways LTD. Lockheed14 image above.


Purchase Links:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble
AuthorHouse

Website

2 comments:

M.C.V. EGAN said...

Thank you for inviting me to guest post. Love the TBR site.
M.C.V. Egan

Unknown said...

Awesome post Catalina! Loved it. Thank you for hosting Catalina today Kari :).