Pages

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fat Vampire by Adam Rex

by:  Adam Rex
published by:  Balzer + Bray
publish date:  July 27, 2010

Doug Lee is undead quite by accident--attacked by a desperate vampire, he finds himself cursed with being fat and 15 forever. Then he meets the new Indian exchange student and falls for her--hard. Yeah, he wants to bite her, but he also wants to prove himself to her.

I've had this book on my shelf for quite awhile and I've wanted to read it, but it's just kept getting skipped over.  When I found the audiobook at the library, I knew that was the sign that it was time to get it off the shelf.  The audiobook was very well done, well acted out.

The story for the most part was good.  It was really funny.  Fat Vampire is a spoof on the traditional vampire story.  The sexy vampire thing isn't happening here.  It kinda made me think of that old movie Once Bitten. 

There was a lot going on with Sejal, the exchange student.  However, I ended up being kinda disappointed that there was nothing paranormal going on with her.  It seemed like there was some kind of build up to it, that there was something secret she was hiding, but it turned out to be nothing of consequence to the story.  It was like a big dud to me.

Fat Vampire was a good break from all the serious books I tend to read.  It was fun to listen to silliness for a change.  I noticed after that I've started looking more in the Humor section of the audiobooks.  What other humorous books did you enjoy?

1 comment:

Beth S. said...

Have you read Rex's middle grade book The True Meaning of Smekday? It's one of the funniest books ever. The audiobook is probably the best audiobook I've ever listened to.