Pages

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Throwback Thursday: Reckless by Amanda Quick


Author: Amanda Quick
First published in 1992 by Amanda Quick (AKA Jayne Ann Krentz)
Audiobook: Brilliance Audio

Phoebe Layton had always imagined Gabriel Banner a brave and valiant knight, which was why she went to him when she was in desperate need of help. but when she lures her shining knight to a lonely midnight rendezvous, Phoebe finds herself sparring with a dangerously desirable man who is nothing like the hero of her dreams. She fears she's made a dreadful mistake when Gabriel sweeps her into his arms and passionately embraces her. Yet it's a kiss that seals her fate. Now Gabriel must possess her -- even if he has to slay a dragon to do it!

 I have read several of Ms. Quick's historical romances and have really enjoyed them.  While I liked Reckless, I didn't love it.  I'm not really sure why.  I did like the mystery.  Trying to figure out who keep trying to kill Phoebe was hard.  While I was able to call some of the ending, I was a bit surprised as well.  

I think it had to do with the characters.  I didn't care for Phoebe. She was brave and determined, but she was a little stupid as well.  If someone is trying to kill you, stay home.  There is a time to be courageous and a time to be smart.  I will admit that Gabriel did go about trying to keep her home the wrong way though. I would probably want to rebel if I had been ordered to stay home. I did like Gabriel though.  He was a great match for Phoebe.  I loved the scene where she is assessing his performance during her "first time".  That was pretty amusing.  Poor guy, I felt bad for him.  So, for fans of Ms. Quick, it is probably worth a listen.  Definitely not my favorite though.



No comments: