Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Series Week: Newsflesh Trilogy by Mira Grant

From miragrant.com:  In 2014, two experimental viruses—a genetically engineered flu strain designed by Dr. Alexander Kellis, intended to act as a cure for the common cold, and a cancer-killing strain of Marburg, known as "Marburg Amberlee"—escaped the lab and combined to form a single airborne pathogen that swept around the world in a matter of days. It cured cancer. It stopped a thousand cold and flu viruses in their tracks.

It raised the dead.

Millions died in the chaos that followed. The summer of 2014 was dubbed "The Rising," and only the lessons learned from a thousand zombie movies allowed mankind to survive. Even then, the world was changed forever. The mainstream media fell, Internet news acquired an undeniable new legitimacy, and the CDC rose to a new level of power.

Set twenty years after the Rising, the Newsflesh trilogy follows a team of bloggers, led by Georgia and Shaun Mason, as they search for the brutal truths behind the infection. Danger, deceit, and betrayal lurk around every corner, as does the hardest question of them all:

When will you rise?


Book #1  Feed

When Senator Peter Ryman of Wisconsin decides to take a team of bloggers along on his run for the White House, Georgia and Shaun Mason are quick to submit their application. They, along with their friend Georgette "Buffy" M. are selected, and view this as the chance to launch their careers to a whole new level...that is, if they can survive the campaign trail.
I had heard about this book way back in 2010 and ordered it and it ended up sitting on my bookshelf for a year.  I finally got around to it in an attempt to clean up my books...and of course prepare for Series Week.  How I loved this book!

Let me start off with the thing that I didn't particularly care for.  It's not that I didn't like it, I just thought it was weird.  Georgia and Shaun's relationship was completely bizarre.  I don't know of any siblings that are attached to each other.  I have twins that never want to be apart from each other that aren't that attached to each other.
Things I liked were...the bloggers and their role in "saving the world".  They didn't really save the world, but the world realized that they could rely on the bloggers for the real news when they couldn't rely on the media.  I also liked Georgia's affliction of Retinal Kellis-Amberlee.  It was an interesting handicap that provided for unique situations.

The ending was a complete surprise.  I didn't expect to be sitting there crying over a ZOMBIE book.  Really??

Ok, I just fell down on the job with this series.  I intended to read Deadline for today and didn't make it.  But this is the second book in the Trilogy.  The third book, Blackout comes out this June.  So, it's a perfect time to start reading.  No, waiting for the ending!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I have the first book in this series. The concept sounded so very interesting. However, I am 160 something pages in, and have been for months, and months. For a sci-fi/horror/zombie addict, that's strange for me. I will finish it someday, I just don't know when.