Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Joint Review: The Anatomist's Apprentice by Tessa Harris

Author: Tessa Harris
Publisher: Kensington Publication Corp. 
Audiobook by Brilliance Audio
Date of Publication: January 1, 2012

The death of Sir Edward Crick has unleashed a torrent of gossip throughout Oxfordshire. No one mourns the dissolute young man--except his sister, Lady Lydia Farrell. When her husband comes under suspicion of murder, Lydia seeks expert help from Dr. Thomas Silkstone, a young anatomist from Philadelphia.

Kari's Take:

I will admit that I was hoping this would be like The Alienist by Caleb Carr which I absolutely loved.  While it didn't live up to my expectations, I still did ultimately enjoy it..  It was pretty slow in the beginning and I did find myself re-listening to parts to get the characters straight.  In the end, I am glad that I stuck with the story.  The mystery turned out to be pretty good.  There were some cringe worthy scenes when the various autopsies are described.   In the age of CSI, it was interesting to read about how one would solve a murder in the late 1700s.  I enjoyed Dr. Silkstone's character.  He is honorable and very intelligent. The peripheral characters were interesting as well.

This book has several twists and surprises.  Despite the slow beginning, it's a good solid mystery. There is even a little bit of a love story in the end. I look forward to the next adventure with Dr. Silkstone.  I listened to the audio book and it was narrated by one of my favorites, Simon Vance.  That alone made it worth listening to for me.

Autumn's take:  I couldn't really put my finger on what I was hoping for out of this book until I read what Kari wrote up there.  I think that's what I was looking for too, something like The Alienist.  If you haven't read it, it's an awesome book. 

I just could not get into this book.  I didn't make it past the part that slow beginning.  I kept getting the characters confused, how one related to another and whether or not one mattered to the story or not. 

I also kept questioning whether or not certain scientific advancements that were mentioned in the book had or hadn't happened during the time frame in which this book was set.  I'm sure (I really hope) it was researched and fact checked, but some things made me want to run home and check wikipedia.

I wouldn't totally not recommend this book, it just wasn't for me.  I too listened to the audiobook and Simon Vance is fantastic as usual.

1 comment:

Deb said...

Hi,Girls! I have this book to read and was hoping it was going to be somewhat like "The Alienist," too! Oh,no! Maybe now that I'm forewarned, I'll like it more just for itself...I'll let you know. I just adore your faces on your blog! Great time browsing here today. I'm putting your button on my blog as "The Blog of the Month." Hugs, Deb/TheBookishDame