Pages

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Teen Reads Week: Unearthly

Author: Cynthia Hand
Publisher: HarperTeen (January 2011)


In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .


Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

I wasn't sure what to expect with Unearthly...maybe just an YA angel  book that would inevitably have a love triangle and would be a trilogy.  I must say, that I was very pleasantly surprised.  I really enjoyed this book and I couldn't put it down.  I had to find out if Clara was going to carry out her purpose or not.  I also had to know who she would chose, Christian or Tucker.  Would she follow destiny or her heart?

I really liked Clara.  She has known she is a quarter angel for 2 years.  Her mother is half angel.  There was no surprise as to her identity, so there was not the usual, "what is happening to me" angst.  Clara is a strong willed teen who does has a sense of responsibility as to her "purpose". The thing that appealed to me most about this book is that the boy she falls for isn't who you expect her to.  The one she must save isn't someone that she is hopelessly in love with.  That was refreshing. Between you and me, I'm team Tucker!

While there is some resolution, the ending of the book leaves a lot of unanswered questions, that I hope will be addressed in the next book. I think this is a great book for YA's, maybe 14 and up.  There is some kissing, but other than that, nothing serious.  I look forward to the next book, Hallowed, which is projected to come out in January 2012.

--Kari

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hi,

I found your blog via Book Blogs and am now following!

Would love it if you could also check out mine when you get a chance.

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

www.storybookloveaffair.blogspot.com