Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

2 Novellas in 1 day! - Lessons in Indiscretion & Healing Hearts

Lessons in Indiscretion
Author: Karen Erickson
Publisher: Carina Press June 20, 2011

Widowed Lady Julia Renwick is still young enough to crave a man's touch; but she's too old to think that the Earl of Bedingfield could see her as anything more than a family friend. Garrett Walker is handsome, charming and only 26 years old-the perfect catch for any one of this year's debutantes.

Garrett has no interest in the maidens vying for his attentions. He wants only Julia. With just two weeks left in the season, he makes a bold move by asking her to dance. When she counters with a shocking request of her own, Garrett eagerly agrees.

Soon, they are stealing away for passionate encounters at every society event they attend. Garrett introduces Julia to excitements she never knew existed, and her newfound confidence quickly attracts other eligible men. It's not long before Garrett realizes he must find a way to keep the lady all to himself...


Lessons in Indiscretion is the first of the Merry Widows series put out by Carina Press. This one is a very quick read, coming in at about 18,000 words. Sometimes I don't know why I torture myself reading novellas. I always want to know more about the characters. I enjoyed Julia and Garrett's story. They were great characters. This one had a nice twist, Julia is the "older woman" by 5 years. Back in their time, what a scandal that would have made. I recommend this one if you want a quick escape. The story is well written with steamy and sensual love scenes. I loved how Garret declares his feelings for Julia in the end. Such a sweet, yet scandalous scene, but perfect for their HEA!


Healing Hearts
Author: Taryn Kincaid
Publisher: Carina Press (Feb 2011)

As a girl, Emma Whiteside asked Adam Caldwell, Viscount Riverton, to wait for her to be of marriageable age. Now, twelve years later, Emma hates Adam as much as she once loved him, holding the former army major responsible for the death of her brother on the battlefield.



Adam already blames himself for the loss of the men under his command. But the fiery young woman Emma's become sparks his arousal, as well as emotions Adam thought long dead. The passion between them makes him want to reclaim the man he was before the war.





Though she tries to hold on to her hatred, Emma's longing for Adam is undeniable, especially after the two share a smoldering kiss. Still, Adam is certain no woman would want a man so damaged. Can Emma prove him wrong?





Healing Hearts is another quick read from Carina Press. It comes in at 23,800 words, slightly longer than the one above. I enjoyed Healing Hearts. It's a classic story of two broken people who find life and happiness in loving one another. Adam has been wounded not just physically, but emotionally by the war in Spain. Emma still loves Adam even though he might have led he brother to his death. I think I liked this one so much because the hero is flawed. I can empathize better with the character that way. The epilogue was very amusing and a great way to end the story.





I definitely recommend both of the novellas reviewed here. Either one is a great way to escape for a couple of hours. I have not read anything by either author before, but I know I will be seeking out other works by them!





--Kari





* note: I read an complimentary copy of both novellas supplied courtesy of Carina Press. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

No comments: