Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

Virtual Book Tour - Save Magic City

Author: Rocsanne Shield
Publisher: iUniverse

The corporation employing the townspeople has left, the bank foreclosures have created whole streets of empty houses, people are leaving in droves... the town is slowly dying.

A black magician in his old time, Edmund is forbidden to do any magic if it is not for helping other people. He discovers and is fascinated by the magical powers of Internet and wants to bring instant relief to the townspeople, but Leona, who does not trust their dependency on magic, forbids him to do so.

Leo, Leona's adoptive son, and his friends, Squirrel and Raccoon, accept the magic with enthusiasm and do their best to help the town to survive.

When misfortune strikes, Leona gives her blessing for Edmund to use his magic.

Edmund is an evil knight who is banished to the future by his brother. He lands in a dying town and must learn to use his magic for good in order to redeem himself. Leona and her friends are trying to save their dying town from the big corporation who is ruining it.

What I liked: I liked the idea of a knight in shining armor coming to the rescue of a woman and her town. I also liked her use of children in the book and teaching them to get involved and to take pride in their community.

What I didn't like: While the idea for this book is very intriguing, it really fell short for me. The biggest problem I had with the book was the writing itself. It could have benefited from more editing. I felt like the ideas all ran together and the author tried to go into too many directions with the plot. I know that this was marketed as a young adult book, but I think middle part that deals with the legal and political issues of corporations and incorporating a town could potentially bore a younger audience. I found myself skimming parts because there was too much detail.

On the whole, I think the author had a good idea and with some more revisions, the novel would have worked better for me. I have read other positive reviews where people enjoyed the book, so it may just be a matter of opinion.

--Kari

* note: I read a complimentary copy of Save Magic City supplied courtesy of the author. I was not compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great read for Parents who want to teach their teens and children community.