Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Heiress


Author: Lynsay Sands
Publisher: HarperCollins, February 2011

Suzette is not like other heiresses; she wants a poor husband, a gentleman who will be so grateful for her dowry that he will allow her access to it so that she can pay off her father's gambling debts. When this alluring beauty encounters Daniel Woodrow -- handsome, titled, single...and even more impoverished than she could have hoped for -- it seems Suzette's wildest dreams have come true.

But Daniel has not been truthful. Tired of being accosted by an endless stream of vapid coquettes and their fortune-hunting mothers, Daniel has decided to plead poverty to stop them in their tracks. Yet here is a most refreshing and delectable lady, who claims to be thrilled by his penury. Now all Daniel has to do to find true happiness is to keep a little white lie alive...while avoiding a villain who's determined to prevent this union by any means necessary.


The Heiress is Suzette and Daniel’s story. They are characters that were first introduced in The Countess (see my review here) Most of the story takes place at the same time as The Countess. I liked Suzette’s character. She is funny, sassy and very curious. She has great passion that she isn’t afraid to explore. Daniel is a likable hero and I liked them as a couple. Daniel’s mother is also a very funny character and I hope to see more of her in a future book. I also hope Lisa and Robert get their own story.

As I mentioned, the first half of the book is pretty much the same story as the Countess, except told from Suzette and Daniel’s point of view. While it was interesting to see what was going on when they were out of the room in the first book, I found myself skimming over sections. There were many of the same conversations and this got boring after a while. The idea for the two books was a good one, but it just didn’t work well for me. The second half of the book deals with what happens on the second journey to Gretna Green. The ending was a bit rushed, but did tie up loose ends from the first book. In my opinion, both books could have been combined into one. That being said, I did enjoy the book and would recommend to anyone who read The Countess. 3 out of 5 stars

- Kari

* note: I read an Advanced Reader’s e-proof copy of The Heiress supplied courtesy of HarperCollins Publishers. I was not approached or compensated in anyway for this review. By receiving a complimentary copy, I am in no way obligated to write a good or bad review. I am an honest reviewer and my reviews are based on my own opinion and only written by me.*

No comments: