Pages

Monday, October 18, 2010

Freefall

by:  Mindi Scott
published by:  Simon Pulse

Seth McCoy was the last person to see his best friend Isaac alive, and the first to find him dead. It was just another night, just another party, just another time where Isaac drank too much and passed out on the lawn. Only this time, Isaac didn’t wake up.

Convinced that his own actions led to his friend’s death, Seth is torn between turning his life around . . . or losing himself completely.

Then he meets Rosetta: so beautiful and so different from everything and everyone he's ever known. But Rosetta has secrets of her own, and Seth will soon realize he isn’t the only one who needs saving . . .

This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting.  I had expected it to be a little harder edged, a lot darker I guess.  I thought it would deal a lot more with alcoholism and struggling with overcoming it.  It did talk about excessive drinking and the consequences of that, but not so much about true alcoholism.  When Seth decided to stop drinking he just stopped.  Nothing wrong with that, but I guess I just expected something else, something grittier, harsher.

I will say that I did enjoy this book quite a bit.  Seth and Rosetta have both suffered recent traumas in their lives and are suffering.  They develop a relationship that's sweet.  It was also well written in my opinion.  It seemed very realistic in terms of a teenage relationship. 

I bought this book and I'm glad I did because it was a really good story.  I flew through it in just a couple of hours and I was kind of disappointed when it was over.  I look forward from more from Mindi Scott in the future!

2 comments:

BookQuoter said...

Hi Autumn, just wanted you to know you won the giveaway. I have also e-mailed you.

BTW, that cover is very eye-catching!

brandileigh2003 said...

Thanks for the review-- I have been wanting to read this one.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog