Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Hex Hall

By:  Rachel Hawkins

From Goodreads:  Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.


By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

I thought Hex Hall was pretty good, not super awesome, but good.  I liked Sophie, she was a decent character, not too whiny or full of teen angst.  I liked Jenna.  She was a fun character, even though she was sad and moody most of the time.   I didn't like Elodie or the relationship that she had with Sophie.  The evolution of their relationship didn't seem realistic to me, but maybe I'm looking at that from personal experience. 

I thought the story line was fairly interesting and the ending twist was kind of a surprise.  I did like that this book was lighter than say Hush Hush or Twilight, not nearly so dark as either of those.  Obviously this is going to be the start of a series. I'd be likely to pick up the next book in the series to see what happens next.

2 comments:

Black Disaster Fairy said...

I've been wanting to read this book for awhile.

Good review... But I kept looking for a rating.

Found you through the ulimate reviewers challenge.

Happy reading ;)

Twisted

aworldofpersonality.blogspot.com

literarydaydreams.blogspot.com

Elena said...

Thanks for the review! This book is on my to read list.