Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

The One That I Want

By:  Allison Winn Scotch

Tilly Farmer is thirty-two and has the perfect life she's wanted since high school.  She's married to her high school sweetheart and is the guidance counselor at the high school she graduated from.  Her life is perfect, until the day she goes to the fair and seeks a reading from a fortunate teller.  She is given not a reading, but the gift of clarity.  She's given the ability to understand what's going to happen in the future and it's not the perfect future she's been hoping for.

I found this book to be very endearing.  I think I could relate to it because I'm 32, I have 6 year old twins like Tilly's best friend, Tilly had frustrations with her younger sister as do I.  Parts were laugh out loud funny and other parts were very emotional.  I felt like the book touched on a lot of the issues that women today deal with:  single parenthood, death of parents, taking care of parents, divorce, taking care of kids, taking care of husbands, and maintaining relationships with siblings.  The characters felt like people I knew, people who would be my friends.  The setting felt like the town that I grew up in, which was kind of funny to me, another way I could relate to the story.  The book asked if you could have the gift (or is it curse?) of knowing the future would you want it?  I definitely would not!  I think it would make me crazy always trying to change it or trying to prevent it. 

This was the first book I've read by Allison Winn Scotch but I'm going to go back and read her other books, Time of My Life and The Department of Lost and Found.

No comments: