Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Horns

by Joe Hill


I loved this book.  I even love the cover of the book, it's so perfect for the story inside. The basic premise is that the main character becomes a devil. In a drunken fit of grief over his murdered girlfriend he “invokes” a devil into him. As he interacts with those around him they can’t help themselves in the faces of the power of the horns and they end up confessing their deep dark secrets to him. A lot of reviews focus on how funny this book is and yes, it is laugh out loud hilarious in parts. It was a very dark book and definitely not for the faint of heart. There was a lot in that book that could spur some theological discussion about God vs. Satan and good vs. evil. It’s one of those stories that I find myself thinking about from time to time. I very much enjoy the writing style of Joe Hill. I read Heart Shaped Box and really liked that book as well. I look forward to future work by this talented writer.  (He's Stephen King's son!)  Oh, and I did listen to this on audiobook.  The reader, Fred Berman, did a good job.  It was well acted with different voices for the characters and he captured the humor in the story very well...he could deliver the lines with the right kind of dead pan expression that was required.

No comments: